Topic: Christian and right concept of God’s kingdom
Text: Luke 17:20-21
A Christian is an adherent follower of Jesus Christ, actually one who is committed to the things of Jesus Christ. The Christian is alike in behavior, activity and speech like Christ. Acts 11:26, 1 peter 4:16. As a Christian it is expected to have the right understanding of the kingdom of God. From our guiding text for this message in Luke 17:20-21, the Pharisees asked Jesus when the kingdom of God would come and Jesus responded the them that the kingdom of God does not come in a way that it will be seen in this world or by observation.
What is the kingdom of God?
The kingdom of God according to the Holman illustrated bible dictionary is the concept of God’s kingly or sovereign rule, encompassing both the realm over which rule is exerted (Matthew 4:8, 24:7, mark 6:23, luke 4:5, revelation 16:10) and the exercise of authority to reign (Luke 19:12, revelation 17:12) therefore, the kingdom of God is the kingdom where God reigns; this kingdom is simply ruled by God. Our lord Jesus gave explanations through his teachings, preaching and parables about the kingdom of God; mark 1:14-15, luke 4:43, 8:1. In john 4:24,saint John writing made us understand the words of Jesus to the Samaritan woman at the well that God is spirit and anyone who worships him must worship him in spirit and in truth, this means that if God is spirit then his kingdom must be a spiritual kingdom as well.
The right concept of God’s kingdom supported by the Holy bible
The first thing a Christian must understand about the kingdom of God is that it is a kingdom not of this world and the kingdom of God is the ultimate destination plan for every faithful Christian; the kingdom of God is both present and future. The bible gives many truths about the kingdom of God but we shall look at a few for this teaching:
- The kingdom of God is presently invisible to our naked eyes, in the nearest future; the kingdom of God will come in it fullness but for now is at hand. Matthew 12:28, Luke 11:20, mark 1:15 mark 14:25, 15:43.
- You enter into the kingdom of God by faith in God through Jesus Christ only; John 14:6.
- Our Lord Jesus admonished us to seek after the kingdom of God and his righteousness rather than the kingdom of this world. Matthew 6:33, luke 9:62.
- The laws of the kingdom of God are written on our hearts by God himself and God wants us to walk in perfect obedience to his commandments; Jeremiah 31:33-34.
- By the power of the Holy Ghost the Christian can experience the reign of God in his daily life because the kingdom of God will be in you, Luke 17:21,1 Corinthians 2:9-10,matthew 21:43.
- The bible reveals that the kingdom of God came down to earth as Jesus first coming to earth and will be fully realized in the second coming of Jesus Christ. C.f Isaiah 11:1-9.
Evangelist Oyewole Ojo